- The 'KVK' Trail running race is a unique challenge; a Kilometre of Vert in Kernow!
- Two laps of a specifically designed route to reach the magic number of 1000m of ascent
- 15 mile total distance of inland hills and coastal running... big climbs, and big downhills
- Suunto watches as prizes for male and female KVK SOLO winners!
- Bottle of Driftwood Spars Brewery beer for the first 100 SOLO finishers!
- KVK TEAM relay race splits the distance and ascent in half as relay team of two!
When - Saturday 24th March. Registration from 12pm, Race Start 2pm
What - 1000m of total ascent* over approximately 15 miles of predominantly trail running, this is our Kernow twist to the Vertical ascent based races that are popular in mountainous areas like the Alps! Not finding any mountains big enough in Cornwall for a Kilometer (1000m!!!) of ascent in one hit, this race is two figure-of-eight loops that take in some of the biggest climbs in the county... But unlike the usual mountain races that are uphill only, this includes 1000m of descent as well, to really test your legs! Expect some fast single track coastal running between hills too.... KVK route map
KVK Team - Enter the KVK Team race with a friend and split the full 15 mile route with 1000m ascent and descent - in half! One of you starts, does one full lap of the figure of eight route then swaps with your Team member for them to do the other figure of eight loop. Each member does 7.5 miles with 500m ascent and descent, starting and finishing each loop at the race base in Trevaunance Cove. The KVK Team is exactly the same route as the full 15 mile race and takes place at the same time. Splitting the route in two enables those runners who prefer not to do the full race distance and height gain to be part of this unique event. If you have done any of the Summer Sessions you can do this!
Where - Driftwood Spars, Trevaunance Cove, St Agnes http://www.driftwoodspars.co.uk/
Who - EVERYONE! This is a hard but achievable race open to all. We would encourage you to try the full distance as there isn’t a time limit or cut off; sunset gives you 5 hours to finish in daylight, making a 20 minute mile pace for the 15 miles fine. The KVK Team race helps to make the event inclusive; if you don’t think you can manage 15 miles OR for the super fast runners that want to blast 7.5 miles - come and do it with a friend!
Course Records - SOLO M - 1:50.07 Jacob Dobson, F - 2:10,30 Wendy Chapman. TEAM 1;46.41 Joe Argall & Jordan Clay
Parking - Trevaunance Cove long stay Council car park, Driftwood car park. PLEASE car share to the event where possible as parking space in the cove has a limit and is likely to be reached!
Accommodation - The Driftwood Spars is an Inn and the ideal place to stay for the weekend of the race!
Provided - Food and Drinks at 5, and 12.5 miles. Extra water station at 8 miles.
Fully signed and Marshalled Route. Event Paramedics. Sweeper Runner. 1000m ascent and descent!
Included - 2018 KVK T-shirt* (these are sought after!) for all starters, UNIQUE COW BELL MEDAL for all finishers!
Bottle of Driftwood Spars Brewery beer for the first 100 SOLO finishers! Top prizes from Suunto, At Your Pace, Rocktape and Move Physio! Prizes for first 3 males and first 3 females plus top 3 Teams, including Suunto watch as top prizes for the winning male and female of the Kernow VK solo race.
*Order a size bigger than you normally would, the T-shirts can come up small.
Minimum age 16 years.
ONLINE ENTRIES ONLY - NO ENTRIES ON THE DAY
Entry available until 10pm on Sunday 18th March or when capacity is reached.
* The route has been recce’d, researched, changed and measured to hit the 1000m ascent goal but not exceed it too much so the race total is as close to it as possible - though with a slight buffer to ensure it has a minimum ascent gain of 1000m. GPS watches will vary in elevation totals - the Ordnance Survey was our definitive source.